How to fix Windows Update error code 66a
This Windows Update error code 66a is a frequent error which has been observed in various variations of the Windows operating system. The primary causes for the error are an attack by viruses or malware as well as the possibility that it could cause a corrupted or insufficient installation or installation .NET framework software as well as Windows corrupted registry.
FIXES: Windows Update error code 66a
It is a Windows Update error code 66a typically occurs in the event that it is detected that the .NET framework runs, or during the Windows start-up or shutdown process. If you’re also a frequent user trying to eliminate this error, this guide can assist you. Take a look and test the methods to determine which is the most suitable for you.
Also Read: How to Fix Netflix Screen Flickering Issue in Windows and macOS
FIX 1: Run SFC scan:
The process of running an SFC scan could be the best option to attempt to eliminate this Windows Update error code 66a. In order to run this SFC scan, you must follow these instructions below:
- The first step is to go to the search bar on the desktop and start typing cmd to open it. Then, you can open the command prompt window. Make sure that you start it using an administrator account.
- Then, in the Command Prompt window Enter SFC /Scannow and then hit Enter.
- The scanning process be completed by itself.
- Also, restart your computer and verify if the issue is solved or not.
- Alternately, you could make use of a specific tool to detect system corruption of files.
FIX 2. Scan your computer for malware
As reported by some victims who have been suffering, scanning their computer for Malware has also assisted them to get out of Windows Update error code 66a. It is also possible to try this and test if it is helpful or not.
There are many Malware scanners available online , all of which are secure and free to use. Make sure you choose a trusted one from them.
FIX 3: Perform a clean boot:
In some instances .NET framework-dependent apps can cause an issue with the software, resulting in Windows Update error code 66a. The applications may be running in the background whenever you boot your computer each time. So, the most effective method is to perform Clean Boot. Clean Boot. To perform this follow the steps below:
Also Read: How to Fix If Pause Updates Option Greyed Out on Windows 11
Before beginning the steps, ensure that you’re logged in using administrator access.
- In the first place, make sure you’re logged into Your Computer by using the administrator account.
- Go into from the Menu for Start then enter msconfig then launch it. This will open the Windows for Configuring the System. Be sure to start it using an administrator account.
- Within the Window for System Configuration Navigate towards the Service tab from the vertical menu. From just below that you will find the buttonbefore the option to to hide all Microsoft services.
- In addition, click on Deactivate Alltab.
- Again, using that menu in the upper right hand corner, go towards the Startup tab and then click the link that reads to open Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager window Navigate towards the Startup tab from the vertical menu, then right-click on the error entry in the below list and choose to disable it.
- Once you’ve finished, close your window Task Manager screen and return into the System Configuration window.
- Click on “OK”..
- Then, restart your computer and then verify if the issue has been solved or if it continues to persist.
FIX 4: Rerun Windows update:
It is possible that the Windows Update error message 66a could also be due to an insufficient Windows update.
Windows update may be interrupted or stopped due to a variety of reasons. As such it is imperative for the user that they rerun the Windows update, and make sure that the process is completed quickly. To restart this Windows update follow these steps below:
- First, open the search bar on your desktop and search for updates, and then open the search result that matches your query.
- Then, in your Windows updates screen select the Check for Updates tab, and let the update process be done on its own.
- Last but not least, restart your computer to make the most recent installation effective.
- After that, verify if the problem was solved or if it continues to persist.
FIX 5: Reinstall .NET Framework:
As we have discussed previously, .NET Framework is one of the primary triggers for this Windows Update error code 66a. The best way to fix this is to install this .NET Framework and check whether it resolves the issue or not. To do this take the steps below:
- First, open the search bar on your desktop then search for Control Panel and open the relevant results of your search.
- From Control Panel window, click on Control Panel window go to Programs and Features.
- In the next section go through the list of installed programs, and look for .NET Framework amongst them.
- After finding it, you can click on to open the .NET Framework program and then click then the Remove button. Then, follow the instructions on screen to complete the process of uninstallation.
- Now reboot your PC.
- After that, visit the official website to install it. .NET Framework.
- Double-click on the executable file and then follow the directions for installing this framework .NET framework.
Notice: Consider downloading several versions of the .NET framework, but preferably the most current version.
Also Read: Top 3 Best Windows 10 Password Reset Tools in 2022
FIX 6 Revert Windows updates:
Another method you can explore to eliminate this Windows Update error code 66a is to reverse Windows update updates. To do that you must follow the steps below:
- First first, start by pressing Windows and Iall together. This will open your settings application in your device.
- In the Settings screen you can navigate to Update and Security and, on the left-pane menu select Recover.
- In the menu on the right under the Return to the older Version of Windows 10section, click on the Starttab.
- Make sure you backup your files, and then begin the resetting process.
- After that, you can check if the problem was solved or not.
FIX 7: Run system restore in safe mode:
According to some users that have experienced this issue, the use of System Restore in Safe mode was a big help in solving the Windows Update error code 66a. To accomplish this follow the steps below:
- First, shut down your computer and then begin it up again.
- Navigate to Start in Safe Mode and enter Enter.
- Go through the Start menu, after which type the word System Restore after which hit Enter.
- Follow the steps and then return to the restore date (date) in the event that the problem did not occur.
- When the process is complete, restart your computer.
FIX 8. Use a cleaning software that is specifically designed for this:
If none of these solutions helped and you are still having trouble, then think about using a specific Cleaning Software. Other than that you could also try other registry cleaners from third parties.
As we have discussed in this article, the Windows Update error code 66a could result in Malware or virus infections Therefore, it should be avoided at all costs. If you do encounter this error be sure to follow the necessary steps to fix it in the shortest time.
When you implement the above techniques following the above-mentioned methods, you will notice that the Windows Update error code 66a will be resolved and you’ll be able to access your computer and the dedicated applications quickly again. For any concerns or feedback, you can note your comments in the comment box below.