How to Fix Netflix Screen Flickering Issue in Windows and macOS
A lot of users have complained about Netflix problems with screen flickering on the MacBook as well as Windows PC. It is clear that Netflix is equipped to play videos within browsers. The video is experiencing playback issues as well as the display is moving. It is necessary to look further into the issue. We will analyze the software and hardware, before implementing the solution.
What’s the cause of Netflix Screen Flickering Issue?
It is true that your Windows and Mac computers have the latest graphics processors. It can play 1080p HD videos. But, Microsoft and Apple have added features to restrict some functions within the hardware. Let’s take a look at the various reasons for why the Netflix screen flickers in the device.
You may be using the wrong browser , or it’s a browser that is not supported. The market was dominated with Chrome and Firefox earlier in the day but time has changed. Microsoft has updated the Chromium browser into the form of the Edge browser. Apple has optimized the Safari application and it is hard to argue that it’s the most effective browser within the macOS environment. However, your default browser might have issues playing Netflix streaming video.
All Windows user has encountered an infection, malware or virus attack. Apple users live under the belief that macOS is unbreakable. The effects of malware affect the system’s overall performance. It has affected millions of computers across the world. We must identify the threat that is still present in the system and put in efforts to eliminate it.
Battery life is a key selling feature for manufacturers. They have improved it by using more battery capacity and optimizing the software. We’ll exclude the battery’s capacity from the discussion and focus on the optimization of software. Apple as well as Microsoft have introduced a new algorithm that is focused on the life of batteries and is referred to as “battery savers” in Windows. We’ve explained how to control the power-saving mode on Windows or macOS.
A majority of laptops and desktops have an integrated GPU and dedicated GPUs in them. The operating system switch between dedicated and an integrated GPU. Naturally, the program will attempt to cut down on the power usage. We must stop from causing GPU conflict and instruct that the program to use a single graphics processor to complete the job.
It is possible to add several users on Windows and macOS and administrators can manage the account’s rights. The user who is logged in could have limitations or having difficulty viewing videos on the computer. I’ve suggested a solution to overcome the limitation on your account below.
Operating System Bug:
Have you upgraded the computer to the most current version of the software? Windows 11 & macOS Monterey are not completely stable and are plagued by glitches and bugs. Apple is the manufacturer of the hardware, and it is expected to get updates from Apple at some point or other. It is recommended to update your software to restore in time to a previous version.
Dedicated Graphics Card:
It is possible that your AMD graphics card may be experiencing issues which I experienced similar issues for a long time. The official developer solved the AMD graphics issue with the update, but I was forced have to sit and wait until the update was available for several months. I’ve provided an option, but should it not resolve the issue, you’ll need be patient for AMD to correct the issue.
FIX: Netflix Screen Flickering Issue
I’m not going to jump into advanced solutions at once and begin with basic troubleshooting. I’ve organized the solutions according to order, so you need that you follow them in the same way that I have presented to you.
Netflix Server Status
Netflix has been paying $9.6 (2019 statistics) monthly to Amazon as it hosts its content by Amazon’s AWS platform. The only server on the planet can guarantee 100 100% uptime. Amazon Web Services have a advanced infrastructure, however they can’t guarantee the same uptime. Let me guide you on how to track Netflix server uptime using your browser.
- Use any mobile or desktop browser.
- Visit the official Netflix server status page.
- The website should display “Netflix is available! We’re not experiencing any interruptions to the streaming services we offer” at the top of the page.
It’s best to be patient and wait for Netflix to resolve the server issue, if you notice any. We are unable to solve the AWS server issues since they aren’t under our control.
Safari is the most popular internet browser available to macOS users, while Chrome is the main web browser used by Windows users. You might want to consider switching to a different browser, and I would recommend that you use Firefox.
It is best to avoid using Edge, Brave, and other similar browsers. They all are based upon the Chromium project, which means they are based around Chrome code. Try Firefox as an open source project, and is a symbol of privacy. We are a part of the company Mozilla So don’t be concerned about skewed suggestions. I’ve used Firefox for quite some time and that’s the reason I’m here to recommend it.
Disable Browser Plug-ins
I’ve installed a couple of extensions or plugins within the browser. They could be playing a part with this Netflix screen flickering problem. Remove the plugins from the browser and then play the video using the media player built into the browser.
- Start your primary browser. I’ve selected Edge browser to complete the process.
- Click on the three-dot option in the upper right corner.
- Select “Extensions” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Manage Extensions” from the drop-down menu.
- Deleting all extensions and add-ons in the browser.
- Close the browser and launch it again.
Now start playing the Netflix video using the browser and the flickering screen issue won’t be a problem anymore. One of the plugins that are enabled can interfere on the playing of the movie. You must remove the video downloader from the browser. This could be the reason in this particular case.
Run Security Programs
Your computer is infected by a virus and you must get rid of it. This isn’t something you can do by yourself therefore it’s the right time to carry take the job to the antivirus system. You can test any security software available for Windows and macOS operating systems. I’m using Malwarebytes (free trial) which allows you to access the premium features for 14 days.
1. Start the security software.
2. Select”Scan” or “Scan” button.
3. The security program will complete a thorough system scan. It takes a while to complete.
4. I conducted a brief System scan. However, it is recommended to allow the program to scan the entire drive.
You can test any security software that you like from a vendor. Install your Windows Defender definitions in Windows and then perform the system scan.
Maximum Power Output
Laptops and MacBook is equipped with a battery. The software takes care of it. The software optimizes energy consumption to extend the life of your battery. It’s possible to play the Netflix video at a high resolution as the processing power of the GPU and CPU is increased. In essence the power consumption will increase as the GPU/CPU processing capacity grows.
For Windows 11 or earlier version:
1. Launch “Control Panel” from the search bar.
2. Select “Hardware and Sound” from the choices.
3. Select “Power Options” from the selection of devices.
4. Select “High Performance” from the power plans.
5. Make a high-performance strategy in the event that it’s not available within the options.
The battery life of your laptop decreases because you’ve allowed the hardware to use the maximal power. However you’ll notice that the Netflix video won’t stop streaming and the screen won’t blink any longer. The software will not switch between the integrated GPU and dedicated GPU.
In macOS or an earlier version:
macOS comes with a feature that optimizes the power output for video playback. It is possible to fix your Netflix screen flickering Issue by plugging in the power source.
Follow the steps below if you’re watching the video with the battery.
1. Simply click on the Apple logo at the top of the menu.
2. Select “System Preferences” from the drop-down menu.
3. Select “Battery” from the System Preferences.
4. Choose “Optimise video streaming while on battery” from the options.
The macOS machine can play Netflix videos with ease. The flickering on the screen will disappear instantly and you can watch HDR videos without issue.
Outdated GPU Drivers
Netflix screen flickering signals that the GPU drivers are out of date. It is possible to update to the AMD graphics driver on the official website. I encourage you to install the driver on your own. I suggest that readers upgrade their AMD Radeon GPU driver by hand.
I’m asking macOS as well as Windows users to update the drivers. Don’t trust the OS vendor for all your needs and instead take the matter to yourself. I found the corrupted driver, and auto-updates didn’t fix the issue in my instance. You can install your GPU driver from scratch and it will repair the health of the driver.
Roll Back GPU Drivers
You can revert the graphics drivers on Windows. Windows machine. It’s an excellent option for those who don’t have an ultra-fast internet connection or are using a low bandwidth. Let me demonstrate how to roll back drivers from Windows 11 or earlier versions.
1. Click “Device Manager” from the search bar.
2. Click here to see”Display adapters” or “Display adapters” from the devices.
3. Choose the display adapter you want to use and right-click the view to reveal the choices.
4. Choose “Properties” from the list.
5. Select “Driver” from the top menu.
6. Select”Return Driver.” Click on “Roll Back Driver” button.
7. Choose a reason, then click “Yes” to continue.
The Windows PC rolls back the graphics driver installed on the computer.
Create New User Account
There is the option of adding more than one user in your Windows as well as macOS operating system. We’ll add a new user account on the computer and then play Netflix video content on the.
Note Do not delete your old accounts without backup of the information.
In Windows 11:
1. Start by opening “Settings” from the search bar.
2. Choose “Accounts” from the settings.
3. Select “Family & other users” in the menu.
4. Simply click on “Add account” under add other users.
5. A new pop-up appears at the top of the screen.
You can sign in with your Microsoft account.
You can also click “I don’t have this person sign-in information” to proceed.
6. Select the third “Add a user without a Microsoft account” option.
7. Complete the form and then click “Next” to move forward.
- Enter the username
- Enter the password
- Re-enter the password
- Complete the security questions.
8. An additional user will be added, however, you must change their rights.
9. Click on the username and select”User Name” then select the “Change account type” option.
10. Change the type of account to “Standard” to “Administrator”.
You’ve successfully registered the user to your account without having the need for a Microsoft account. You are able to delete the account at any time and you don’t have to worry about the status.
1. Simply click on to open the Apple icon.
2. Select “System Preferences” from the drop-down menu.
3. Select “Users & groups” from the window.
4. Select the plus symbol in the menu.
A new window is displayed in the display.
5. Select the type of user.
Choose “Administrator” from the role type.
6. Please enter your full name.
7. You must enter the username and password.
8. Hit”Create User” or click on the “Create User” button.
Choose “Allow user to administer this computer” to grant the account rights to use the system. You are always able to come back to remove the administrator account.
Also Read: How to Update Office 365 in Windows 11/10
Downgrade Operating System
I’m not asking you to upgrade your operating system since you’ll perform it anyway. But, I’m speaking to those who have been facing numerous issues lately. Apple releases an updated macOS version each year and you’ll need to take a few months off to test the most recent version.
The in-house programmers take the time to find the issues within the software and then fix the issue by releasing an update to the patch.
The same logic is applicable the same way to Windows 11, and Microsoft advised AMD processor customers to hold off until the end of this year. Windows 11 is not smooth on Ryzen 5 3rd generation laptops. I’m also experiencing issues with it. I’ve tried earlier versions of Windows 10, and it was smooth as butter.
You now have to decide what you want to do and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
It could be due to a defective component inside the computer, it’s possible. Screen flickering isn’t an uncommon issue and you should seek advice from a certified service center. The GPU may be malfunctioning, or the display’s pixels may be dying. Schedule an appointment at the service center for the manufacturer and make sure you claim the warranty. Contact the Apple or the hardware manufacturer’s customer service to discuss further custom solutions.